Explore our Farms - Tanzania

The first coffee grown in the Kilimanjaro region was planted by Catholic missionaries in Kilema at the end of the 19th Century. Throughout the 20th century western demand for coffee grew and as a result cultivation spread through many regions of Tanzania. Appearing first by locals growing as a cash crop in 1919, they came together to form an Association to protect their interests after settling westerners expressed concern over diseases and pests being caused by the expanding cultivation of coffee.


The Cooperative model continues with Agricultural Marketing Cooperative Societies (AMCOS), including Rural Cooperative Societies (RCS), working with producers, and Cooperative Unions being licensed to handle the exporting as well as larger Estates. Around 90% of coffee is produced by smallholder farmers with less than 1 hectare, with around 110 Estates growing the other 10%.


We source our coffee from "Mbili Twiga," which translates to "two giraffes." The name highlights the unity and collaboration within the co-operative. The region primarily cultivates Bourbon and Kent coffee varieties, both known for their excellent flavour profiles and drought tolerance. We take pride in sourcing high-quality coffee from this historic and vibrant region.

The farms that are part of this co-operative partnership are KARATU and MAKIIDI RCS. 


About Karatu

Ngorongoro crater is the worlds largest inactive, intact, and unfilled caldera that the Karatu estate finds itself within.


Ladslaus Alfred, as owner and manager therefore takes great care of the farm which borders Ngorongoro National Park. Umbrella Acacias provide the coffee trees with shade from the sun with dark volcanic soil providing the nutrients.

With 200 hectares of coffee, peak season will see employment for around 500 workers from the area.


Cherries here are picked ripe and brought to the processing station where they are washed and fermented for 36-42 hours. Washed again and soaked, the coffee is finally dried on raised beds.


About Makiidi

Established in 1983 in the Rombo district, the average smallholder here has less than 1 hectare, with around only half a hectare growing coffee. Local challenges with central processing units means commonly the coffee is ‘home processed’; picked pulped, fermented and washed on the farm, before drying under the sun on patios or raised beds.


Cash crops are also grown alongside coffee, and in some areas, chameleons are looked to to provide predation for the Antiestia bug, which makes holes in the coffee and can spoilt he beans.


Delivered in parchment, coffee is cleaned, sorted and graded. Tanzania has a reputation for Peaberry, which is screen sorted at this point. In total, Makiidi RCS produces around 300 bags per year.