Change Please coffee cake recipe
Show off your baking skills and say thanks to mum for making life a piece of cake! Try our Change Please coffee cake recipe – the perfect compliment to your Change Please coffee
225g/8oz unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
225g/8oz caster sugar
4 free-range eggs
50ml/1¾fl oz strong espresso coffee
225g/8oz self-raising flour
125g/4½oz unsalted butter
200g/7oz icing sugar
50ml/2fl oz strong espresso coffee
- Grease a 20 cm / 8-inch springform cake pan with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until very light and pale.
- Add the eggs one at a time to the butter and sugar mixture, beating well to completely incorporate each egg before adding the next egg.
- Add the all-important espresso to the mixture and stir well.
- Add the flour and mix until combined.
- Pour the cake mixture into your prepared cake pan. Place in the preheated oven. Bake for 45 - 50 minutes at 170 °C / 340 °F.
- In the meantime create the espresso buttercream. Cut the butter into cubes and then beat on a low-medium speed until soft. Gradually add the icing sugar and beat until fully combined. Add the vanilla extract and add the coffee a teaspoon at a time, beating in each addition before adding more. Your Buttercream should be soft and perfect for piping at this point.
- Once the sponge is cooked, turn the baked sponge cake upside-down on a wire rack to cool completely.
- When the sponge cake is cold, spread the espresso buttercream over the top of each cake, then place one cake on top of the other. Add any optional toppings, slice and serve.